Main menu


What type of car insurance does a new driver need?


A new driver typically needs liability insurance, which covers damages or injuries that the driver may cause to others in an accident. This insurance is required by law in most states and usually includes two types of coverage: bodily injury liability and property damage liability. In addition to liability insurance, new drivers may also want to consider purchasing collision and comprehensive coverage, which covers damages to the driver's own vehicle in the event of an accident or other covered event. Some states also require additional types of insurance, such as personal injury protection or uninsured motorist coverage. It is important for new drivers to check with their state's Department of Insurance for specific coverage requirements.